The Library Friends of Oak Bluffs administer a scholarship fund in memory of Richard C. Brown, treasurer of the Library Friends for many years before his death in 2013. Dick Brown was an important figure in the Martha’s Vineyard community who was known for his generosity and strong spirit of community. He built the original Dairy Queen in Edgartown with his own two hands, which he operated for 20 years. As a long-time Boy Scout leader, he reorganized Troop 98 on Martha’s Vineyard and gave inspiring leadership to over 100 different boy scouts in his 12-year tenure. His love of the outdoors included a passion for baseball, and he umpired little league baseball games on both Staten Island and Martha’s Vineyard for over 50 years.
In his memory, the Library Friends of Oak Bluffs are honored to provide a scholarship to a Vineyard young adult to continue the legacy of Dick Brown’s passion for community service, athletics, and education.
Library Friends of Oak Bluffs Inc.
PO Box 1421
Oak Bluffs, MA 02557
Study Level: Graduate, Undergraduate
Award Type: Scholarship
Purpose: To support students majoring in maritime or natural sciences.
- Bona fide residents of Martha’s Vineyard
- Seniors in high school or students already enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college or university or vocation-technical school.
- Students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better.
- Preference is given to those students who have participated in sports activities, or served with the Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts of the USA.
- Deadline for submission is March 1st.
To Apply: Applicants must submit a completed application form together with a personal statement (maximum of 500 words) addressing professional goals and financial need; letter of reference; and official transcripts of grades.
Send application to: Library Friends of Oak Bluffs Inc., PO Box 1421, OB, MA 02557