Thursday, May 14th
Arrr! Today’s virtual storytime kit is all about pirates!
1. Listen to a reading of author Melinda’s Long’s picture book How I Became a Pirate: https://youtu.be/jTz9WojaMIg
2. Learn new lyrics to a familiar tune: https://youtu.be/XDKlKiMIYv4
3. Create your own cardboard pirate ship in your house! Create in the Chaos explains this activity step by step: http://www.createinthechaos.com/pirate-week-cardboard-pira…/
4. Don’t have cardboard? Create a miniature pirate ship using an egg carton: https://www.momjunction.com/…/egg-carton-crafts-for-kids_0…/
5. Practice your sight words with this treasure hunt activity from The Imagination Tree: https://theimaginationtree.com/sight-word-activity-pirate-…/
6. Count by 10s and walk the plank in your backyard with this math activity: https://theclassroomcreative.com/…/pirate-math-activity-wa…/
Tuesday, May 12th
Today’s virtual storytime kit is all about sharks!
1. Enjoy author Bruce Hale’s reading of his early reader book Clark the Shark: Too Many Treats here: https://youtu.be/gys2buANKWk
2. Are you familiar with the song Bubble Bubble Pop? Our Children’s Librarian recorded this popular storytime song, and you can view it here: https://youtu.be/ZS1WYkq26o0
3. If you have a plastic bottle around, you can upcycle it by creating a sensory ocean bottle. The recipe calls for Elmer’s glue, but we’ve used hair gel before and it works just as well: https://modernmomlife.com/easy-shark-craft-kids/
4. Seashells can be turned into alphabet shells to use for this fun letter recognition activity: https://www.pre-kpages.com/ocean-theme-alphabet-shells-sen…/
5. Want to practice your numbers? Try this shark-themed number matching game: https://simplelivingcreativelearning.com/…/Shark-Number-Mat…
Thursday, May 7th
This Virtual Storytime Kit theme is dinosaurs! Enjoy listening to Tom Fletcher’s reading of his picture book The Dinosaur that Pooped a Princess.
1. Listen to the story on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/Jgqk09OHG-A
2. After listening to the story, learn the 5 Little Dinosaurs song here: https://youtu.be/uMdTrXckJJM
3. Want to create your own dinosaur fossils? Salt dough is a quick and easy way to create them! Instructions found in this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/L7sH9bj-fl0
4. Looking for a fun new way to practice your alphabet? Create a sand box to write in, or go outside in the yard to practice drawing each letter. This video shows you how it’s done: https://youtu.be/e_X3InYzlDA
5. Caregivers, when your children are playing with salt dough, try to create your own dinosaur bones that kids can “dig up” for this math activity from The Imagination Tree: https://theimaginationtree.com/digging-dinosaur-bones-math…/
Tuesday, May 5th
This Virtual Storytime Kit theme is trucks! This kit features author Sherri Duskey Rinker reading her popular Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site picture book.
1. Watch and listen to the YouTube story here: https://youtu.be/dKCnH6aaBNA
2. Celebrate more trucks by singing the Hurry Hurry Drive the Firetruck song here: https://youtu.be/aD3LZe7IoOo
3. Enjoy this Diggers in the Mud sensory play activity outside (credit: The Imagination Tree): https://theimaginationtree.com/diggers-in-the-mud-sensory-…/
4. This alphabet activity uses rocks and letters to create words: https://theimaginationtree.com/alphabet-rocks-construction…/
5. This math and fine motor skills activity involves more trucks and rocks (credit: Little Bins for Little Hands): https://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/develop-fine-motor-sk…/